Schools almost out, and one of the token ways to tell that summer is here
is when bicyclists come out full force. From children spending the days
outdoors to commuters using their bikes to get around town, warmer weather
and more hours of daylight means that Tampa will see an increase in two-wheeled
cycles and their riders. Should you or your loved one ride a bike this
season (or any season!) be sure to follow some safety tips to make sure
that you do not suffer a
personal injury while enjoying yourself.
Follow These Tips During Bike Rides
There are numerous health, financial, and environmental that come with
riding a bike, and the number of people commuting to work by bicycle has
significantly increased since 2000. With increased number of riders on
the road, it is more important than ever that bicyclists and motorists
take extra care to avoid crashes. Unfortunately, when a bicyclist is involved
in an accident with a
bus, or other motor vehicle, is it likely the cyclist that will be injured.
According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, bicyclists
were involved in 2% of all traffic fatalities and 2% of all crash-related
injuries in 2012, a number which has remained similar since.
To protect against personal injury, remember to follow these tips:
- Wear your helmet.
- Ride to the right of the road and ride with traffic, not against it.
- Respect the rules of the road, and stop at all stop signs and traffic lights.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Use lights, reflectors, and light clothing when riding to increase visibility.
- Use hand signals to tell motorists what you plan to do next.
- Don’t pass cars on the right.
- Avoid road hazards such as sewer grates, potholes, and loose gravel.
- Keep both hands on the handlebars in preparation of braking.
- Don’t neglect bicycle maintenance!
Any bike rider should know that they are subjected to all the rules and
laws as an automobile driver would be, therefore, no one should blow through
red lights, make turns when they do not have the right of way, or otherwise
When you are out enjoying the weather these upcoming months, take care
of yourself. Drivers are oftentimes not trained to look for motorists
on the road, resulting in unfortunate accidents. If you have been involved in a
bike accident, keep Smith & Stallworth, Attorneys at Law on your mind. With offices
in Tampa and across Florida, we are here for you when you need us most.
Give us a call for a free consultation to discuss your case with a member of our team.
Remember, the best step you can take is action!